How to Enjoy a Family Photo-shoot
Make your next family photo session a stress free one and a lot of fun!
Family photos are timeless and a wonderful keepsake for future generations. Gathering the family together to take portraits can turn into chaos if not approached with some thought. There is usually a lot more to consider when it comes to a family photo-shoot when there are all ages involved, which means that there is some extra co-ordination required.
Below are some family photo-shoot ideas and tips to keep you and your loved ones calm and smiling the whole way through.
1. Timing is everything. If you have younger children involved in the shoot, try and arrange the photoshoot at a time when they would be well rested. A rested child makes for happy photos. Mornings are generally best for kids under 5 years of age. Make sure that all family members will have enough sleep the night before, no major late night events on the night before, or sport events which tire kids out, as this helps with the fun and relaxation aspects of the session.
2. Dos and don’ts of bribery. Excited your family about the photo-shoot instead of offering bribery in the form of sweets and toys in return for their co-operation. This tends to lead to forced smiles and an irritated bunch of little people who all they can thing about is Freddo Frogs! Plan something fun afterwards instead, lunch at their favourite place, an ice-cream, play at the park, etc so a whole adventure is planned to look forward to.
3. Relinquish control. As much as you’ll want to direct your children on where to stand and how to pose, it’s best to leave that to the photographer as they know what works best. Not having this pressure will also make you feel more relaxed and you will see how your children react naturally and enjoy themselves.
4. It’s not just about the posing. The best photos happen when you’re having fun so joke and play with your children, hold your partner’s hand and just let the moments happen.
5. Plan ahead. Discuss all of your requirements with your photographer beforehand so that the family photo session can just flow. Let your photographer know if you want specific pictures taken.
6. Keep those sugar levels up. If everyone is well fed, the photo-shoot will also run a lot smoother. It’s also not a bad idea to take a few healthy snacks and some water along for those who might need it.
Enjoy and have FUN capturing your memories.